Who We Are
“To know Christ and to make Him known”
Covenant Presbyterian Church began December 5, 1893. This Great Commission church met at 3028 Lake Street in Omaha, Nebraska. The church was called Bedford Place Presbyterian Church. In 1904 the name changed to Church of the Covenant. In 1906 the church moved to 27th and Pratt Street to expand its mission. In 1918 Covenant became Covenant Presbyterian Church. In 1957 Covenant moved to 51st and Ames. The congregation built a larger facility there for worship and mission. An addition was added in 1978.
In 1988 the Presbytery of Missouri River Valley, Presbyterian Church (USA), conducted the “North Corridor Study.” The study determined there were too many PCUSA congregations in North Omaha. The Presbytery asked Covenant to consider moving to West Omaha. After much prayer and discernment Covenant headed westward to 15002 Blondo Street.
In February 2007, after much prayerful consideration, the congregation disaffiliated from the Presbyterian Church (USA) and affiliated with the Evangelical Presbyterian Church, (EPC). Covenant is currently an active member church in the EPC denomination.
Covenant spearheaded the combined effort of 273 churches and 50 ministries to present the Luis Palau Heartland Festival. In July of 2007 over 100,000 people attended the two-day area wide event. More than 5,500 persons signed first-time commitment cards to accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.
Since 1893 Covenant Presbyterian Church EPC has gone out to the world to fulfill the Great Commission. Covenant supports local ministries, partners with high school and college ministries, holds services at the Douglas County Correctional Facilities and at Retirement and Assisted Living Centers.
Covenant partnered with Latins United Christian Ministries to plant a church in South Omaha called “Iglesia Christiana Discipulos.” This church plant was officially recognized as a member church of the Disciples of Christ denomination on October 27, 2011.
In January of 2015 under the guidance of the Great Plains Presbytery (EPC) Covenant sponsored a church plant in Bennington, Nebraska. Led by our senior pastor, 30-40 members of Covenant transferred to this exciting new church called “Three Timbers Church”.
Covenant has shared the gospel in the US and other countries such as Colombia, Mexico, Belize, Nicaragua, and South Sudan through medical missions, children’s ministry missions, construction and water purification missions, and Biblical teaching missions. The Healing Kadi Foundation came into existence as a result of short term missions from Covenant. The Healing Kadi clinic in South Sudan daily serves a population of half a million people. The medical clinic was built and paid for through Covenant giving and sacrifice.
Come, help us write the next chapter in our mission “To know Christ and to make Him known” throughout the entire world.